2017 CFMS-AFMS Gem Show & Convention
hosted by the Ventura Gem & Mineral Society
Fri - Sun, June 9-11, 2017
Ventura County Fairgrounds •
GEMS • MINERALS • FOSSILS • JEWELRY • DEALERS • EXHIBITS • SPEAKERS • DEMONSTRATIONS • RAFFLE • SILENT AUCTION • KIDS ACTIVITIES & MORE!
SPEAKERS AND PROGRAMS
Learn about a variety of topics from renowned experts at hour-long programs scheduled throughout all three days. Programs and times are incorporated into the Schedule page.
- Bob Jones, author and editor for Rock & Gem Magazine (and all the other major mineral magazines) since 1960: "Yale Peabody Mineral Museum" (Friday 10:30 am) & "Around the World in 80 years" (Saturday 10:30 am).
- ALAA -- Mike Hunerlach, retired head geologist of the U.S. Forest Service: "BLM Info on Desert, Monuments & Rockhounding" and how we can help keep public lands open (Friday noon).
- Ken Rogers: "Gemstones & Gem Beads - 'New Finds, Fakes, Created, Dyed & Enhanced' - and the Changing Industries" (Friday 2:15 pm).
Ken will speak on changes in the gemstone and gem bead industry plus how they affect jewelry designers, lapidary enthusiasts and consumers. Ken has been recognized as one of the "go to" people for questions on gemstone beads.
- Richard Wade: "The Last Days of the Dinosaur" (Saturday 12:15 pm). An interactive and fun presentation about how dinosaurs lived and died, even the sounds they made! How fossils are formed, beautiful original drawings of dinosaurs, real fossils and a meteorite to see, a full scale model of a Tyrannosaurus skull, a seven foot Brachiosaurus thigh bone, an enormous fossil footprint, and many other amazing objects.
- Mike Havstad: "An Introduction to Meteorites" (Saturday 2 pm). A down-to-earth and entertaining discussion of meteorites from where they come from, to what happens on their journey, their impact on our planet and why people are intrigued by them.
- Walt Wright: "The Beauty of Petrified Wood" (Saturday 3:30 pm). Walt is a Botanist/Ecologist/Paleontologist/Geologist and Paleobotanist and a leading expert in petrified wood. Walt has worked for the U.S. Forest Service and the University of California as well as a government agencies consultant.
- Pat McMahon: "Agates" (Friday 3:45 pm). Pat has spent much of the past 26 years collecting agates. His long years of intensive rock hunting resulted in one of the most comprehensive collections of sagenite, plume and banded agate.
- Melissa Baffa: "The Adventure of a Lifetime: Exploring the Ocean Aboard the E/V Nautilus" (Sunday 10:30 am). Melissa served as a Science Communication Fellow with the Ocean Exploration Trust while aboard E/V Nautilus during expeditions to the Galapagos Islands in 2015 and Southern California Borderlands in 2016. Melissa is a Development Officer at the Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History.
- Alan Rubin: UCLA: "Meteorites & Asteroids" (Sunday noon). UCLA Department of Earth, Planetary and Space Sciences and Meteorite identification expert.
- Lisa Toehill: "Shark Tooth Hill" (Sunday 1:45 pm).